Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Back!!

I'm back! After half a year of fun and adventure in Adelaide, the gradual transition from frosty weather with chilly winds, to warm sunny days that enjoy sunshine till as late as 9pm (main cause of skin basal cell carcinoma) is very much welcomed. Sorry for the long absence! Seeing how I'm pretty free during this summer holidays, I'm going to be writing much more often!

Here's a little summary of what's been going on the past few months...

My birthday in August was celebrated by the Singapore Association committee at a steamboat restaurant along Gouger Street

and look, they bought me a really delicious chocolate cheesecake!

Leighton's birthday was next, and his Raffles house organised a party for him with a plethora of wine, liquer and spirits! (Notice the Tiger T-shirt! - that alcoholic)
It was flags day one afternoon, and Med school organised volunteers to wear scrubs and released them to prowl the streets of Rundle for kind charitable people to donate money towards cancer research for the Hanson institute, and I was one of them! Don't I look so cool in blue scrubs :p


City to Bay run was next, taking place on a nice cool Sunday morning. Tens of thousands of people from all over the city gathered at North Terrace to run/jog/walk to Glenelg beach for a total distance of 12km. I improved by 4 mins compared to last year, but it's still too slow! I'm going to train harder for next year's run!



Just before the September break, Med school international student reps organised an Internation Food Fiesta, featuring stalls that cooked up a feast of delicacies from all over the world! There was a sushi stall (their sashimi was tasty!), italian stall that made pasta, greek stall making yiros, and of course, there's the Singaporean stall, and we made satay and mee goreng. Hans, Eugene and I spent nearly 10 hours in total marinating, cutting, skewering the meat onto satay sticks, (--literally sweat blood food--) but it was all worth it when we became the first stall to sell out! Our satays were so popular, people kept coming back for more!! (*refer to tempting mouth watering pic below)




One of my coursemates, Ruhui, showed me an amazing level in the Schulz Building reserved for music students to practice. It had several rooms, each occupied with a grand or baby grand piano, and sometimes two in a room! The rooms were on the 7th floor, and had a great view over the city, so I took a landscape photo of it!





This is Bee and me.. she looks quite pretty in this photo! and she's wearing that nice shawl I gave her.


Eugene's birthday celebration coincided with our mooncake festival dinner, where we had a BBQ, savoured sausages and lamb chops, and played with lanterns like the little children we used to be. In the end, many of them caught fire (some more purposefully than accidental). I made a raspberry white chocolate cheesecake which was sinfully creamy and absolutely heavenly (wahaha talk about ego).




In October, Eugene, Shaan, Kristin, Myintzu and I went for Josh Groban's one-night-only concert in Adelaide Entertainment centre! It was an amazing night as the baritone charmed the entire audience with his captivating voice and romantic ballads. It was quite expensive, but thoroughly worth it!!




Look it's Josh Groban!!





Below is us when we dressed up for a steamboat dinner at my place, where we treated ourselves to a seafood feast of oysters, sashimi, scallops. We dance, we sang, and we watched the season finale of Dr Who Season 2 -- pure action and suspense! It was a magical night.

On the last day of school before our study week and the subsequent exams, the AMSS (med school's student association) organised a champagne breakfast at the park opposite Uni footbridge, where we gathered to devour bacon and eggs like the hungry med students we were, and skoll champagne like the drunk australians they were! I had a few too, and it was great going to the last PBL session for the year tipsy. If you notice below, I'm sure most of them are drunk (except me of course, the most sober, clear headed looking guy in the pictures)

There's Simran in top R, my PBL mate for this semester. My housemates Eugene and Gau are bottom R.Kudnarto! Bleh I look so stupid in the photo.
Leighton and Tom are in top L, and Sara's top R. She looks really sweet.


There are too many people to name, and this isn't Facebook. I'll try to name as many as I can the next time I post photos.

Exams came and went, with statistics, our most feared topic, running rampant in our MCQ/Short Answer Questions paper, shaking our faith in our ability to obtain that elusive A. Resource was extremely tricky, with me screwing up many questions, just because I couldn't see those *#%@ obscure Teniae Coli, and identified the large intestine as small instead. MEQ had Multiple Myeloma: need I say more.

I'm currently doing a research attachment at the immunology lab in the molecular sciences building, involving rat surgery, magnetic beads, and fluorescing antibodies - Sounds exciting, but no, it's not a James Bond movie.
I'll write more about that next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home